How to Get Around Canada

By | May 4, 2022


Traveling by plane

Around 75 airlines, including Canada’s largest airline, Air Canada (AC), provide regional flight connections. Air Canada Express connects smaller Canadian cities to Air Canada (AC) hubs. Horizon Air (QX) serves Western Canada, Air Inuit (3H) Northeast Canada. Air Transat (TS) also flies on domestic routes.

Air Travel Note

A so-called Airport Improvement Fee (AIF) has been introduced at most airports. It varies, depending on the airport, between 10 and 35 C$. Children under the age of 2 and transit passengers are excluded. The fee is paid per person and usually as a surcharge on the ticket.

Traveling by car/bus

According to top-medical-schools, the longest trunk road is the 8000 km long Trans-Canada Highway, which runs from west (Vancouver/British Columbia) to east (St. John’s/Newfoundland). Toll: There is no general toll obligation in Canada. The Highway 407 near Toronto is subject to a fee, where the toll for rental cars is recorded on the basis of the license plate and billed to the credit card. In addition, the Cobequid Pass Highway in Nova Scotia, the A30 in southern Montreal and various bridges are subject to tolls. Gas stations: The south of Canada has a relatively dense network of gas stations. Due to the large distances between the gas stations in northern Canada, should always keep an eye on the fuel level and fill up when the opportunity arises. Signs often indicate the distance to the nearest gas station. Gasoline and diesel are available at all gas stations, but LPG (auto propane) is not available at every gas station.

Right-hand traffic/left-hand traffic


Road classification

Trunk roads are divided into three categories: – Main roads connecting provinces and connected to important border crossing points. Label: C (Core Routes); – Feeder roads that direct traffic to the main roads and connect residential and industrial centers. Label: F (Feeder Routes); – Northern and remote routes; Roads leading to northern Canada and remote areas. Label: N (Northern and Remote Routes).

Car rental

Rental cars are available at airports and in cities. The minimum age is 21 and the driver must have held a driver’s license for at least one year. Drivers under the age of 25 often pay an additional young driver fee. A major Canadian credit card is required. The respective rental conditions vary from province to province (see relevant province). Canadian rental car companies may require an international driver’s license in addition to the national driver’s license.


Taxis in Canada are metered. Taxi fares are set by the city, so they are the same across the city. For journeys outside of cities, however, you should negotiate a fixed price.


In Montréal, there are freely available bicycles that you can borrow at one station and return at another. The first half hour is free.


Grayline offer trips to major Canadian resorts. There are also a variety of regional bus companies: Central Canada: Trailways, Coach Canada and Orleans Express. Western Canada: Brewster Transport and Vancouver Island Coach Lines.


Traffic regulations: – right-hand traffic; – seatbelt obligation; – Alcohol limit: 0.5 ‰. For novice drivers (first two years). Drivers under 22 years: 0.0 ‰. Alcoholic beverages must be transported in the trunk; – Winter studded tires are not mandatory in Ontario, but are permitted year-round in the Northwest Territories and Yukon, and permitted in winter in the other provinces. (The official start of winter varies by province); – in many provinces dipped headlights must be on during the day; – Radar detectors are prohibited; – With the exception of some regions of Québec, right turns are permitted at red lights. Speed ​​limits: – in built-up areas: 50 km/h; – on rural roads: 80 km/h; – on motorways (highways,

Roadside Assistance

An ADAC foreign emergency call station with German-speaking employees has been set up in the USA. It is also responsible for Canada and offers ADAC members and holders of ADAC international health and accident insurance assistance with regard to hotels, rental cars, vehicle or patient repatriation. The emergency number for Canada/USA for vehicle damage is: +49 (0)89 22 22 22, for illness and injury: +49 (0)89 76 76 76. The Canadian Automobile Association is affiliated with most European automobile clubs and also offers ADAC -Members usually have a tire change, starting assistance, unlocking assistance or towing up to a maximum of 5 km free of charge.


The German national driving license is valid for 6 months in Canada. However, it is recommended that you carry an international driver’s license with you. All other nationalities require the International Driving Permit.

Traveling in the city

Vancouver: The TransLink transit company offers a variety of transportation options: the subway (Canada Line), rapid transit (Skytrain), scheduled buses, and ferries (Seabus). The price of tickets is tiered by zone. Tickets are available from machines, train stations and on buses. Day tickets are also available for buses, trains and ferries. Toronto: Every part of the city is accessible with the 4 subway lines, buses and trams. A light rail line (LRT) runs to the port. All means of transport can be used with a single ticket. Tip: ask for a transfer slip when you buy the ticket. At night, the transport services of the Blue Night Network operate on the main routes. There are also taxis and ferries to the islands from Toronto. Montréal: The public transport system is operated by the Société de Transport de Montréal (STM). There are 4 subway lines as well as city buses. There are also taxi buses for areas where regular bus service is not worthwhile.

Locally on the way by train

VIA Rail Canada operates an extensive rail network throughout Canada. Representative in Germany: Canada Reise Dienst (CRD) International GmbH, Tel. (040) 30 06 16 70. The Canadian, the transcontinental luxury passenger train operated by VIA Rail on the Toronto – Vancouver route, runs several times a week via Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton and Jasper. There are connections from the Atlantic provinces and from Québec City and Montréal. There are over 40 regional railway companies. InterCity trains connect Québec, Montreal, Halifax, Toronto, Windsor and Ottawa. Long-distance trains are conveniently equipped with dining cars, air conditioning, etc. The Rocky Mountaineer operates routes Seattle (USA) – Vancouver – Canadian Rockies (‘Coastal Passage’), Vancouver – Whistler – Quesnel – Jasper (‘Rainforest to Gold Rush’), Vancouver – Kamloops – Jasper (‘Journey through the Clouds’), Vancouver – Kamloops – Lake Louise – Banff (‘First Passage to the West’). You can also travel through the Rockies in the luxurious vintage cars of the Royal Canadian Pacific. Ontario Northland’s Polar Bear Express operates daily (except Saturday) between Cochrane and Moosonee across the Canadian wilderness.

rail passes

The Canrail Pass is available for 7 or 10 segments or for any number of journeys within 60 days on the VIA Rail Canada network. For children, young people up to the age of 17, students and seniors, there is a Canrailpass with a 10% discount. The Canrailpass – Corridor connects Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, the capital of Canada, and historic Québec. This pass is valid for 21 days and can also be booked for 7 or 10 sections or any number of journeys. For children, young people and seniors there is a general discount of 10%. For more information on Rail Passes, contact Via Rail Canada or CRD.

Note on the train journey

Fare reductions: Children under the age of 2 travel for free, children between the ages of 2 and 11 pay half price. There are discounted offers for travelers over 60 years of age as well as students and young people. Information on this is available from the Canada Travel Service (CRD).

Traveling by ship

Ferries on the east and west coasts run regularly and are fast and cheap. More information under the headings of each province or from the Tourist Office.

Transportation of Canada